Wednesday, January 30, 2013

wip wednesday: getting ready for quiltcon

I'm so excited for QuiltCon! I've never been to Austin and I hear it's a great city, plus the chance to get away is always fun! My hubby has been so supportive and encouraging when it comes to this trip... I couldn't do it without him! Thanks, honey. :)

In the spirit of travelling handmade, I've got a couple of projects I want to make and take with me: a QAYG tote/handbag, and a duffle bag. I'm finishing the quilt-as-you-go panels for my tote at the moment.

Untitled
 
 
Untitled

And the duffle bag fabric has been picked out, (this is from MoMo's Oh Deer line) but I'm having second thoughts...

Untitled

In fact, I just now went back to my sewing room and decided to use this next fabric, instead!

Untitled

I'll use the same fabric for the handles. Not sure about the lining yet, but I'm much happier with my new choice. The first print seemed a little young for me to be carrying around... I still think it's adorable, though and I'll always love MoMo!

When I reflect on it, I think my original fabric choice has been the hold up on making this bag. I've had the pattern and the fabric since September, but I never jumped in. Now that I'm feeling better about this new print, I feel ready to tackle the bag! Does that happen to anyone else? Does a fabric choice hold you back because it doesn't feel quite right?

Besides my QuiltCon projects, I'm working on several bee blocks. Another round of the 4x5 Modern Quilt Bee has started and I'm working with HSTs...

4x5 hive 9 winter 2013

Plus I joined the Sugar Block Club. This is my first time working with only solids and I'm excited to see how this quilt turns out! Here's January's block...

January Sugar Block Club Snow Blossom block

Are you going to QuiltCon? What are you working on?

Linking up with Lee at Freshly Pieced!

WIP Wednesday at Freshly Pieced

4 comments:

  1. I love your orange and aqua block. Those colors are so pretty together. And to think everyone made such a big deal about red and aqua, look at orange stealing the show :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the orange and aqua block. I love the quilt-as-you-go method; I having been trying it out this week and plan at some stage doing the amy butler weekender. Lots of work here - nice work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. So jealous that you are gong to quilt con! Your blocks are great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You will love Austin. It's a great, fun city full of night life and awesome food trucks.

    ReplyDelete