Monday, March 5, 2012

mod star mini

I've had this idea for a quilt design floating around in my head for a few months... I decided to make it into a mini quilt to enter into the Modern Mini Challenge that is currently being hosted by Ellison Lane Quilts.

Modern Mini Challenge

My idea is based on a star-within-a-star motif... I'm sure someone somewhere has done this before but I haven't seen it. I think it would be awesome in a black and white combo, or red and white. I wanted to work from my stash, though, so here we go!

Mod Star Mini

So I look at the calendar yesterday (early afternoon) and I realize that the deadline is today! Whoops. I got busy working out measurements for my mini quilt and pieced the top. Today I was able to (between naps, baby feedings, and a Target run) quilt and bind the top. It's about 27" square and I'll use it as a stroller/car seat quilt for the baby.

100_1435

I used various Kona solids, as well as a Mini Mike's print (because I ran out of the teal, oops!) for the top. The back is Ruby and the binding is an unlabeled fat quarter from my stash. :)

Now that I know the measurements for the stars, I think I'm going to use the same pattern for a baby quilt.

3 comments:

  1. I lurve it! A lot! I tried to tell you on flickr, but you removed to pic I commented on(what?) that my brain goes, "star, star, star, star," as it sees all of them. Truly.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Its gorgeous!! I love the star within a star idea. So cool!! :D

    ReplyDelete
  3. i love the crisp white center and the gingham binding. it all looks great!

    ReplyDelete