Tuesday, July 6, 2010

it was a humdinger, boys and girls!

It poured here on the Fourth. Our town's fireworks display was rained out and it was, in general, a dark and gloomy day. Some of our neighbors braved the elements to set off a few fireworks in the street, but they got soaked. Plus, it was cold! Too cold for July, for sure.

Photobucket


I needed a break from the quilt along... I'm ready for the quilting part but wanted to wait until I found a free motion presser foot. I decided to start working on the baby quilt I planned to make for a friend's first baby. I bought some great fabrics... a set of fat eighths with eight different prints, and a few coordinating fabrics for binding and backing the quilt. All are in different shades of purple... they look so pretty together!

I really didn't have any idea of what kind of quilt I wanted to make, so I did some cruising around blogland and came across crazy mom quilts. She has a Stacked Coins baby quilt tutorial on Moda BakeShop that I absolutely loved. The only caveat was that I wanted to make a smaller quilt, so I needed to do my own math...bummer.

Fortunately, I had my very own super-fast-math-equation-loving husband on the couch not four feet away! I fired random math equations at him and he helped me figure out measurements... although I'm proud to say I did most of the math on my own!

At any rate, cutting and piecing went super quick, and before I knew it, I had the entire quilt top done! I was really surprised at how fast things came together. I started quilting it last night... just straight lines here, so I could use my regular presser foot.

Photobucket

I'm about halfway done with quilting (it's a small quilt, only about 32 x 32, so it will be good as a playmat or stroller quilt). Plus, I've already thought of a use for the scraps! How fun will it be to have one of these that coordinates with the quilt?

1 comment:

  1. Carmen, those colors are gorgeous! That tutorial looks great - I will have to rethink what I had planned for my quilt, because that looks way easier. :)
    I finished my quilt-a-long top (post to come soon) but I'm out of town with family until Sunday, so my sandwich will have to wait a bit...

    ReplyDelete