Sunday, October 12, 2008

tea party

I went to an afternoon tea at a local historic tea house with a couple of friends on Saturday... we had tiny sandwiches, scones, petit fours, and of course, tea. It was very nice, and I think it would be fun to do at home. We were served with these neat cup and saucer sets that had a spot for the cup on the side and a large place for you to set food.

I've since learned that this is called a "Tea and Toast" set. I've done a lot of research online about these cute sets and decided I wanted to find my own. All of the new ones online are terribly expensive, so I figured I'd hit one of the local antique stores in the area.

I went this afternoon and wandered around a flea market for an hour or so. I saw so many different kinds of cups and saucers, but not any Tea and Toast sets until I turned a corner and spied these! They're from Czechoslovakia and were made probably sometime in the 1930s. It's a set of six cups and saucers... all are in pretty good condition.

I got a pretty good deal, too... the whole set for under $30. I'm still hunting for a creamer, sugar bowl, and teapot, but I'm on my way to hosting a tea party!





No comments:

Post a Comment