Thursday, November 8, 2012

bee blocks

I'm taking part in the current round of the 4x5 Modern Quilt Bee on Flickr. This quarter, I'm in the Hexy Hive, which means that all blocks need to contain hexagons somehow.

I designed a simple block with an English paper pieced flower in the center and a patchwork border.
 
4x5 Hexy Hive All Done!

I like how the blocks look in this photo, taken on my design wall. I just might make a whole quilt of this block and sash each one in white. I put them right up next to each other at first, but decided I like the negative space that sashing offers.

I also like how each block has its own color scheme. It was a necessity as part of the Bee, but in a quilt it would make each block stand out on its own. Of course, scrappy is always good too!

I also made 4 blocks for the Hurricane Sandy Help group on Flickr. They are collecting blocks, made from this tutorial, to assemble into quilts for Hurricane Sandy victims. The group organizer is going to New Jersey in December and will deliver the quilts then. She has recruited several people to assemble quilts with her.

  Four scrappy blocks for Sandy victims

I appreciated that they chose a relatively simple block- I cranked these out in a very short time- and I think the resulting quilts will be lovely! I hope they bring comfort to people.

2 comments: