Thursday, August 5, 2010

blue striped starling

I finally finished my Starling Handbag! I really love how it turned out.

Photobucket


I took my friends' advice to heart and went with different buttons on the tops of the tree branches.

Photobucket


I unpicked the stupid embroidered bird and went with a sweet little fabric one.

Photobucket


After a snag, I sewed the lining for the bag and then sewed it into the bag.

Photobucket


Sewing the lining into the bag went really smoothly. Sewing the lining itself was problematic... see the seam at the very bottom of the bag? Instead of using one long piece for the lining, I had to cobble pieces together after I realized the measuring tape I used to measure the bag was off, and therefore the pieces I'd already cut were too small for the bag. The measuring part didn't start at the very end of the tape. Weird.

I'm so glad I realized this *before* I sewed the whole lining... I would have been mad. Really. Mad. :)

Of course, there's a pocket, a snap, and my tag. The pocket happens to be a perfect size for my cell... I was pretty stoked when I slid the phone it and the stars aligned and karma was on my side... I guess I could have measured and gotten the same result, but I really wanted to use up a scrap of the fabric, so I just went for it.

Photobucket



I have that weird feeling that you get after finishing a long and involved project... that sort of now what? feeling? Luckily, there's plenty on the project list to keep me occupied!

7 comments:

  1. It's perfect! I don't mind saying, the different buttons are as adorable as I pictured them...do you love it? I love it!!! Oh, and you were TOTALLY right about the bird. The fabric bird is so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yay - it looks great! I really like how the different buttons turned out!
    I know what you mean about the weird feeling. Sometime I have to really push myself to start something new after that. The project list definitely helps! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. So great! I love the stripes and the button tree is inspired! The lining fabric is amazingly beautiful ... just gorgeous.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I came over from Futuregirl...I love your bag. I also love your Seaschell tags. Did you make them or buy them somewhere?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, everyone! I love how it turned out, too. Darcy, I made my tags using a tutorial you can find here: http://patchworkpottery.blogspot.com/2008/09/fabric-labels-tutorial.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cool! Thanks for the link!
    darcy

    ReplyDelete