Monday, August 2, 2010

starling embellishment

I finally finished my Starling Handbag! Now I'm working on embellishment and I need your help. I decided to embroider a tree and bird on the front of the bag, because all the shades of blue reminded me of how the sky can be different colors. This first picture really shows how the shades of blue look (not the purply ones you see later. That's just bad lighting. :)

Photobucket


So here are my questions to you:

I love how the tree turned out. I'm debating putting buttons on the top of the branches like this...

Photobucket



Photobucket


but I'm not sure. What do you think?

Also, I'm debating between the embroidered bird or a little fabric bird, pulled from the same blue of the fabric I'm using for the lining. So, you tell me: embroidered bird floating in the sky or fabric bird sitting on the ground?

Photobucket


Photobucket


I'm so glad the crocheting part is done! This bag has been a year in the making and I'm very pleased with how it turned out. I'm glad too that I took the time to fix the wonkiness.

Photobucket


One more photo to show the fabric for the lining:

Photobucket

4 comments:

  1. I love the shades of blue in your bag! I like the button idea and I think your fabric bird is totally cute. I'd hate for you to take out the embroidery that you've already done, though.
    I need you to help put embellishments on my starling. I'm still stumped on that one!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sweet! Would you consider mis-matched buttons? Different shapes, sizes, shades of blue? I think that would be extra cute. I love your bird. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, ladies! Excellent suggestions all around. I decided to go with the fabric bird (the freaky embroidered one has already been undone) and I'm on the hunt for mismatched buttons!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh good call on the mismatched buttons, Mia. That will be a nice touch! I can't wait to see how it turns out!
    My starling is just plain red. I tried coming up with something to match the liner fabric, but I'm giving up on that. I've had mine ready for embellishment for a year now, so I'm ready for it to be done!
    Did you decide to get a new sewing machine or just a free motion foot?

    ReplyDelete