Tuesday, June 29, 2010

my first quilt!

I have a low tolerance for multi-step crafting or sewing projects. I'm an instant gratification kind of girl, which is why I usually stick to smaller things.

Which makes this quilt along kind of torturous. :)

Don't get me wrong, I'm enjoying the sewing and watching my first (okay, second, but I never finished the first one and I can't find it, anyway) quilt come together, but it's taking a REALLY LONG TIME.

I decided last night, right in the middle of sewing quilt strips together, that I needed something super quick to make; a tiny little project that wouldn't detract too much from the big quilt. Plus, I'm a little nervous that I hadn't practiced any important quilting skills (like binding) before.

I dug into Ye Olde Crafty Cabinet and found some charm squares I picked up at a local quilt show recently. Voila!

May I present my first completed quilt?


Doesn't it look ginormous? I love the magic of photography. :)

It's actually coaster-size. It didn't take very long and I used the opportunity to practice binding (which turned out okay- check out that corner!). I was also relieved that my sewing machine was able to handle all the layers of fabric and batting.


Yay for useful, tiny projects!


  1. So smart to try out binding on such a tiny project! Yay for your first quilt!

  2. Haha - I saw the title of your post and I was like, "NO WAY she finished already!!!" I was about to feel like such a slacker!! :D I love the refreshing fabrics you used on your mini-quilt. I can't wait to see your life-sized one! :D